"Lamento di Federico"


The "Lamento di Federico" È la solita storia del pastore is a famous aria taken from act II of the opera L'arlesiana by Francesco Cilea. It is sung by Federico who is deeply in love with a girl from Arles, l'Arlesiana but his family has arranged his marriage with Vivetta. Vivetta has always loved Federico since childhood and disappointed to know of his love for l'Arlesiana. When he was left alone, Federico read the letters of l'Arlesiana and ponder them with his broken heart.
The aria is famous for tenors and has been recorded by Enrico Caruso, Plácido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti, José Carreras and many others

Translation in English
It’s the old tale of the shepherd...
The poor boy wanted to retell it
And he fell asleep.
There is oblivion in sleep.
How I envy him!
I too would like to sleep like that
To find oblivion at least in slumber!
I am searching only for peace.
I would like to be able to forget everything!
Yet every effort is in vain.
Before me I always have
her sweet face.
Peace is ever taken from me.
Why must I suffer so very much?
She, as always speaks to my heart.
Fatal vision, leave me!
You hurt me so deeply! Alas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvNmK13r1fU