La mamma morta

La mamma morta (They Killed my Mother) is an aria of the 1896 opera Andrea Chénier by Umberto Giordano, sung by the role of Maddalena di Coigny (soprano).

Translation in English
They killed my mother
in the doorway of my room
She died and saved me!!
Later, at dead of night,
I wandered about with Bersi,
when suddenly
a livid glow flickers
and lights were ahead of me
the dark street!
I looked at it!
My birthhouse was on fire!
I was alone!
and surrounded by nothingness!
Hunger and misery!
deprivation and danger.!
I became ill,
and Bersi, so good and pure
made a market of her beauty (prostitution)
for my sake!
I bring misfortune to all who love me!
It was then, in my grief,
that love came to me!
And murmured in a sweet, melodius voice
You must live ! I am life itself!
Heaven is in my eyes!
You're not alone!
My breast can dry your tears
I will walk with you and be your support!
Smile and hope! I'm love itself!
Is all around you blood and mire?
I am divine! I can make you forget!
I am the god who descends to earth
from the empyrean and makes this world
A paradise! Ah!
I am love, love, love
And the angel approaches, kisses me,
and in that kiss is death!
The moribund body is my body.
So take it.
I have already died like that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5FfGb5qtDU