Svegliatevi nel core


Svegliatevi nel core is the famous aria taken from act 1, scene 1 of the Italian opera, "Giulio Cesare" by German-born British Baroque composer, Georg Friedrich Händel. The aria is written for the role “Sesto”, a soprano in trouser role, including during the premiere, who sing it to assure his mother that he will avenge his father’s death (Pompey). Pompey was assassinated by the Egyptians, instructed by Tolomeo (Ptolemy XIII Theos Philopator) to demonstrate Egyptians loyalty to Julius Caesar. The words were written by Nicola Francesco Haym.
The scene takes place at the bridge over the Nile entering Alexandria, Egypt at 48 B.C.

Translation in English
Awaken in my heart
The wrath of an offended soul
So I may wreak upon a traitor
My bitter vengeance!
The ghost of my father
Hastens to my defense
Saying, “From you, my son
Ferocity is expected”